If you do not have an attorney, the Self-Help Center and Family Law Facilitator staff and volunteers may be able to assist you with procedural information and instruction on completing forms.
NOTE: We can only provide information and assistance with matters in California, and sometimes only in Alameda County. If you have a case in another state, we cannot assist you with that case.
Case types we can help with
- Petition for Custody and Support
- Restraining Orders: Domestic Violence; Civil Harassment; Elder Abuse; Workplace Violence (limited assistance)
- Click here for next steps after completing Temporary Restraining Order forms in Alameda County
- Name & Gender Change
- Small Claims
- Unlawful Detainer
- While the California Eviction Moratorium has ended, the Alameda County Eviction Moratorium is still in effect. Click here for more information.
- Limited Conservatorship
- Guardianship of the Minor
- Debt Collection (limited assistance)
- See More Resources below for Consumer Debt Clinic
- Fee Waivers
How to get help
Drop-in services are currently suspended but you may contact us via LiveChat or phones to be screened for an in-person or remote appointment.
Monday - Thursday, 2:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Voicemails can only be left during phone hours. Calls are returned within 5 business days.
Chat with us
LiveChat Hours: Monday - Thursday, 9:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
Click the widget located on the bottom right corner of this page during our LiveChat hours.
NOTE: If you do not see the LiveChat Widget, click this to try again.
Start Divorce/Legal Separation/Annulment case
- The next workshop will be February 8, 2023 at 1:30PM. Contact us for an appointment.
- The next workshop will be February 15, 2023 at 1:30PM. Contact us for an appointment.
Start Small Claims
- The next workshops will be January 25, 2023 and February 22, 2023 at 1:30PM. Contact us for an appointment.
Workshops and appointments available for those who need Language Assistance.
Please call us Monday - Thursday, 2:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M. to be scheduled for a workshop or appointment.
Forms @ home
"Law Help Interactive (LHI)" allows you to complete online interviews for certain types of legal actions. Once the interview is complete the required forms may be printed. Once printed, the forms may be submitted to the Court for filing.
Useful information about representing yourself in Court
What you can expect from working with our Self-Help Staff
A guide to separation and divorce. Resources are available for all members of the family.
The list of FAQ's by Court Division
Additional information and resources