If you do not have an attorney, the Self-Help Center and Family Law Facilitator staff and volunteers may be able to assist you with procedural information and instruction on completing forms.
NOTE: We can only provide information and assistance with matters in California, and sometimes only in Alameda County. If you have a case in another state, we cannot assist you with that case.
Case types we can help with
- Petition for Custody and Support
- Restraining Orders: Domestic Violence; Civil Harassment; Elder Abuse; Workplace Violence (limited assistance)
- Click here for next steps after completing Temporary Restraining Order forms in Alameda County
- Haga clic aquí para conocer los próximos pasos después de completar los formularios de Orden de restricción temporal en el condado de Alameda
- Click hereto watch a video on Serving Your Civil Harassment Restraining Order Court Forms
- Name & Gender Change
- Small Claims
- Click here to watch a video on Serving Your Small Claims Forms
- Unlawful Detainer
- Limited Conservatorship
- Guardianship of the Minor
- Debt Collection (limited assistance)
- See More Resources below for Consumer Debt Clinic
- Fee Waivers
How to get help
Drop-in services are currently suspended but you may contact us via LiveChat or phones to be screened for an in-person or remote appointment.
Monday - Thursday, 2:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Voicemails can only be left during phone hours. Calls are returned within 5 business days.
Chat with us
LiveChat Hours: Monday - Thursday, 9:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
Click the widget located on the bottom right corner of this page during our LiveChat hours. We may stop taking new chats before the stated hours once we reach capacity.
NOTE: If you do not see the LiveChat Widget, click this to try again.
Start Divorce/Legal Separation/Annulment case
- The next workshop will be on December 6, 2023 at 1:30PM. Contact us for an appointment.
- The next workshop will be on December 13, 2023 at 1:30PM. Contact us for an appointment.
Start Small Claims
- The next workshops will be on November 29, 2023 and December 20 at 1:30PM. Contact us for an appointment.
- Click hereto watch a video on Serving Your Small Claims Forms
Workshops and appointments available for those who need Language Assistance.
Please call us Monday - Thursday, 2:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M. to be scheduled for a workshop or appointment.
Forms @ home
"Law Help Interactive (LHI)" allows you to complete online interviews for certain types of legal actions. Once the interview is complete the required forms may be printed. Once printed, the forms may be submitted to the Court for filing.
Useful information about representing yourself in Court
What you can expect from working with our Self-Help Staff
Watch helpful videos about serving your Court forms
A guide to separation and divorce. Resources are available for all members of the family.
The list of FAQ's by Court Division
Additional information and resources