Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Petition for Change of Name and/or Gender, Sex Identifier, and Birth Certificate of a Minor

Effective January 1, 2022, Assembly Bill 1578 modified Code of Civil Procedure §1276(e), requiring a petition for change of name and/or gender, sex identifier and birth certificate of a minor to be filed in the Juvenile court for the following individuals:

•      A minor with a guardian who is appointed by the Juvenile court

•      A minor with a court appointed dependency attorney appointed as guardian

•      A minor who is alleged or adjudged to be a ward of the court

•      A non-minor dependent

•      An attorney acting for a minor under Welfare and Institution code sections 601 or 602

Starting April 10, 2023, petitions may be submitted in any one of the following options:

•      eFile application (recommended)

•      In person at Juvenile Justice Center

•      United States Mail

•      Drop box

For the last three options, please provide one original, and two copies of the required documents. If you request endorsed copies returned via US Mail, include a self-addressed stamped envelope along with your request.

Do not place Juvenile case number on the petition, instead submit CM015 Notice of Related Case along with your request.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.