Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

e-filing FAQ's

Currently all Civil case types to include sub-categories of unlawful detainers, small claims, civil harassment restraining orders and civil appeals. Probate, mental health, and family law cases are not yet available through e-filing.

  • Self-represented litigants are not required to file documents electronically at the time; however, are encouraged to do so.
  • Litigants represented by attorneys must e-file as of January 1, 2022 in all civil cases. See Local Rule 3.27.

  1. Bench Warrants
  2. Subpoenaed documents
  3. Bonds
  4. Undertakings
  5. Certified judgments
  6. Out of State or Out of County Abstracts or Commissions
  7. Sister State Judgments
  8. Subpoenas for Out of State Actions
  9. Payee Data Records

Documents that are exempt from e-filing can be submitted for filing in the Clerk’s Office between office hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays or by mail (visit our Locations page for courthouse addresses).

Fax filing will not be available for civil documents after e-filing is implemented on October 12th, 2021. Fax filing will only remain available for Probate and Family Law case types.

You may use any EFSP that is listed on the Court’s civil e-filing Service Provider webpage.

Yes. All courts accepting e-filed documents are mandated to use independent EFSP’s in accordance with CRC 2.259(e).

Yes. The Court’s e-filing transaction fee and the EFSP’s service fee are collected by the EFSP when the filing is submitted.

Documents can be e-filed 24 hours a day. Any e-filing received by the Court before midnight will be deemed received or filed on the same business day if accepted. Any electronic filing submitted after midnight will be deemed received or filed as of the next business day if accepted. Any document received electronically on a non-court day, is deemed to have been effectively filed on the next court day if accepted. (California Rules of Court, rule 2.253(b)(6); Code Civ. Proc. § 1010.6(b)(3)). See Local Rule 3.27.

Processing time will depend on the type of document filed. Processing office hours are 8:30-4:00pm Monday-Friday excluding holidays. The court strives to review and process all documents submitted via e-filing within three business days.

Any document Rejected will include the reason for the rejection of the document. If your document is rejected, you must correct and resubmit the document.

The requirements for e-filing are described in the e-filing Technical Requirements on the court’s civil e-filing webpage.

Yes, in certain instances and pursuant to Alameda County Superior Court Local Rule 3.30(c). During trial, motions, memoranda, and matters presented to the Court in writing for decision may be served in open court in hard copy form after having been e-filed.

Yes, the initiating document and fee waiver application will be processed at the same time. These documents may be submitted in the same transaction.

Motions must first be scheduled using Court Reservation System (CRS) in the Court’s eCourt Public Portal. Upon obtaining the reservation the motion can be e-filed. The CRS reservation receipt must be included when e-filing a motion. If submitted without a reservation receipt, the e-filing will be rejected.

Motions with supporting documents can be submitted in the same transaction. However, all documents, including any proposed order, must be submitted as separate PDF documents.

Yes, parties required to file documents electronically have agreed to accept electronic service at the electronic service address provided. (California Rules of Court, rule 2.251(C)(3).) Self-represented litigants and parties exempt from e-filing must affirmatively consent to acceptance of electronic service. (California Rules of Court, rule 2.251(b)(1)(B).)

E-filing will be available for Family Law, Probate, Adoptions and Mental Health cases in 2023. More information will be posted on the court's website soon.

Potential EFSPs can reach out to Journal Technologies at for more information.

To e-file into a JCCP case, you must have an Alameda issued case number for your coordinated case, please input the Alameda case number when e-filing. The Alameda County case number and the JCCP case number must be on the document(s) submitted for filing.

To obtain an Alameda County case number you must open a new case via e-filing. If an add-on petition was not previously filed and granted your lead document must be the add on petition.

You may complete a Name Search using the eCourt Public Portal.

To obtain an Alameda County case number you must open a new case via e-filing. The Order for Coordination should be entered as the Lead Document.

If you were not ordered to file an add-on petition your case must be part of the original coordination order. Please follow the instructions for question 23 to obtain an Alameda county case number.

Was this helpful?