Family Law Court

Family Law Courts hear cases involving dissolution of marriage, nullity, legal separation and paternity, including related issues of spousal support, child support and custody and community property.
Text resize: Decrease font site Increase font site


The Family Court section of this website focuses on family matters that relate to domestic violence (restraining orders), elder abuse, divorce, child custody, visitation, establishing paternity, and child support.
See full size imageWARNING: People can tell what Internet sites you have visited on your computer.  If you are concerned for your safety, use the Internet at a local library, a friend's home, or your workplace.





~Effective April 4, 2016, Family Law proceedings and Child Custody Recommending Counselor Services provided at the George E. McDonald Courthouse in Alameda are moving to the Hayward Hall of Justice. Click here for more information. 

All family law pleadings and documents may be filed at the George E. McDonald Hall of Justice in Alameda, the Hayward Hall of Justice, or the Rene C. Davidson Courthouse.  Please note that once your case is assigned to a specific judicial officer, you must file all additional documents at the court location where that assigned judicial officer sits.
Other kinds of cases that involve families are covered in separate sections of the website. If you are looking for information about criminal law violations by a child under the age of 18, visit the Juvenile section of this website.

If you are searching for information about a wide range of matters related to taking care of family members and their personal affairs, including matters like disposing of property after death through Wills or Trusts and guardianship and conservatorships for people who cannot care for themselves or manage their personal financial matters, visit the Probate section of this website.  For information about civil harassment matters visit the Civil section of this website, and for name changes visit the Self-Help section.  

For information on how the Family Law webpage can help you, click here.
Back To Top Print This Page