Civil Court

Back to Civil Court
Text resize: Decrease font site Increase font site

Tentative Rulings

The Court has a tentative ruling procedure pursuant to California Rules of Court, rule 3.1308 and Alameda County Superior Court Local Rule 3.30.
What is a Tentative Ruling?
Prior to the hearing of a law and motion matter, the Court may issue a tentative ruling.  The tentative ruling will become the order of the Court, and no hearing will be held, unless a party contests the tentative ruling.
How Do I Find a Tentative Ruling?
Tentative rulings are available on the Internet and by telephone.  In some cases (such as recently filed unlawful detainer (eviction) cases), tentative rulings may only be available by telephone.  To find a tentative ruling on the Internet, you can search by department number or case number.
To search by department number, click here and proceed through the following steps:
  • Select the court location and hearing date.
  • Click "Get Department Listings."
  • Click the department in which your motion is set.
  • Click the civil law and motion calendar for the date.
To search by case number, click here and proceed through the following steps:
  • Enter the case number.
  • Click "Submit."
  • Click the "Tentative Rulings" tab in the left hand column.
To access tentative rulings by telephone, please call (866) 223-2244.
How Do I Contest a Tentative Ruling?
Notify the Court and all the other parties no later than 4:00 PM one court day before the scheduled hearing, and briefly identify the issues you wish to argue.  If you are leaving a telephone message, also give you name and telephone number, the case name and number, and date and time of the hearing.
For Department 511, please call (510) 272-1200.
For all other departments, call the clerk of the assigned department or follow the instructions in the Notice of Assignment.
To obtain a telephone number for a department, please see the department information on DomainWeb or the judicial directory.
Back To Top Print This Page