Family Law Court

Family Law Courts hear cases involving divorce (dissolution of marriage), nullity, legal separation, and paternity, including related issues of spousal support, child support, child custody and visitation, and community property.  Family Court also hears cases of domestic violence and elder abuse.
Text resize: Decrease font site Increase font site

Civil Harassment Restraining Orders

If you and the other party do not have a close relationship (married, divorced, separated, dating or used to date, live together or used to live together), or are not related (parent, child, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, in-laws), you can ask for a Civil Harassment Restraining Order.
  1. To get a Civil Harassment Restraining Order, you must fill out the correct forms. You can get them from:
    • The Clerk's Office
    • Alameda County Law Library in Oakland
    • Online at the Judicial Council Forms page
    • Bookstores and print shops that have legal forms

  2. Fill out your forms neatly in blue or black ink.
  3. Fill out your forms and take them to the Hayward Hall of Justice or the René C. Davidson Courthouse

A judge will look at your forms within 24 hours. The clerk will instruct you when to come back to find out if the judge has signed the Order to Show Cause and Temporary Restraining Order (Form WV-120). When you pick up your forms, check to see if the judge made all the orders you asked for. A court hearing will be set in about 3 weeks so the judge can decide if the orders will continue for up to 3 years. Make sure to come to this court hearing.
Back To Top Print This Page