Text resize: Decrease font site Increase font site

General Information

Types of Violations
Your citation may include the following types of violations:
Infraction Violations
An infraction is a violation of, or failure to comply with, certain provisions of the Vehicle Code, local ordinance or other law or statute. An infraction is not punishable by imprisonment; the maximum sentence on most infractions is a $250 fine (plus assessments and fees). You may not be sentenced to alternate jail time on an infraction and cannot have a trial by jury unless an infraction is combined with a misdemeanor charge.

Misdemeanor Violations
Except in cases where a different punishment is prescribed by any law of this state, misdemeanor offenses are punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding $1000 (plus assessments and fees), or by both.

Mandatory Appearance
You may have been cited for a violation which requires you to appear in court. If proof is also required, you must bring the proof to your scheduled appearance date. Failure to appear may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and a hold being placed on your driver's license. Mandatory appearance citations cannot be paid without first appearing in court.

Proof Of Correction (POC)
Proof of Correction is a "Fix It" citation. It allows you to show the violation has been corrected and to pay a mandated Proof of Correction fee.

How to Obtain Help With Your Citation
The Court's mission is to provide accurate information to its customers. Clerks are authorized to provide information regarding the procedures used by the Court to process a case. However, all clerks are prohibited by law (Government Code Section 24004) from giving legal advice to litigants, for the following reasons:

The clerk is not an attorney at law. The clerical staff is trained to accept papers for filing and has no expertise in the legal consequences of information included on any of the forms. The Court must be neutral in any proceeding. By assisting one side or the other, a clerk can cause the Court to be perceived as taking sides or being biased, which circumvents administration of justice as a whole. All persons seeking legal assistance from the Clerk's Office are to be redirected to an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of California without naming any specific person or firm.

Court employees throughout the Court are available to assist you, but are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. You are encouraged to discuss any further questions with an attorney. Additional Traffic information may be found at the California Courts Self-Help Center.

If you have a disability and need assistance, ask the Clerk's Office immediately to help accommodate your needs. If you are hearing-impaired and need assistance, please notify the Clerk's Office immediately.

Handling Citations Outside Alameda County
This site only handles Citations issued by agencies inside Alameda County. Please contact the respective County's Superior Court Traffic Division for Citations issued outside Alameda County.

Driving Under the Influence (DUI) cases are handled at the Criminal Division.
Back To Top Print This Page